Thursday 3 February 2011

US - California, Central Valley & Bay Area


“I currently reside in Modesto, California (the central valley). I am straight edge for 5 years now. It wasn't until around 2004 that I found and fell in love with hardcore. I first saw Hatebreed around 2003 or 2004. At the time I just thought they were a really heavy band and when I saw them live they were so much better than any other bands I had seen live. Nowadays I rarely go to any big shows like that. I mostly stick to the smaller venues now, as I seem to find it more fun plus seeing the same familiar faces is nice, it's almost like a second family.

Anyways about venues around the Modesto area there are pretty much none. All the venues that were here closed and no one ever throws shows. I used to rent out a hall and throw shows every once in a while. Looking back at it now I managed to throw some good shows, but the kids here are just not into hardcore and it was really hard to get kids to come, but man I got some good bands to come through and play. I met some really cool people and made a lot of friends just by throwing shows.


The one venue I miss the most is the PoundSF in San Francisco. That venue had the best shows. I swear to you I would be there at least once a week. That shut down back in 2006 though. The Plea for Peace Center, which is in Stockton, is the closest venue doing shows here in the valley.


Also The Workshop in Ceres, which is basically a garage, does some shows. I mostly go to the bay area for shows. I mostly go to 924 Gilman St in Berkely, CA and sometimes I will hit up the Submission Art Space in SF. Sometimes the Metro in Oakland has some good shows too.

Check out calihardcore, Nick does a pretty good job keeping it up to date and you can check out upcoming shows and submit shows too. It’s a cool website.


I started a small record label back in November 2009 to help my friends put out their record, Ultima Victima from Mexico City. They are a really good bunch of guys! I love those guys. I met them back in 2008 in Central America. I tagged along with my friends in 5 victims 4 graves (rip) on a Central America tour. Anyways Ultima Victima blew me away and they asked me later if I could help them out so I decided I would, because I felt like people should hear their music. That's how it all started.

Right now I am working on two releases. You can check out the website also.


Real from Guadalara, Mexico.

Alea Jacta Est from France.

I personally love hardcore and don't know where I would be without it. I try my best to give back to the scene, because I feel that everyone should have the chance to get what I've gotten from hardcore.”

No comments:

Post a Comment