Friday 31 December 2010

Activism - Post Punk Kitchen


“The PPK was created by me, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, in my cramped Brooklyn kitchen in 2003. The idea was simple: a fun cooking show to give vegans something to watch. And, hey, let’s throw some bands in. We also started a website to support the show and to foster a vegan cooking and baking community, where we could submit recipes, share ideas and maybe gossip a little bit.

I tricked my pal Terry Hope Romero into co-hosting the show with me. We were friends from around the punk scene, and I always loved the sushi and tamales she would bring to potlucks. Plus, she looks like an ewok and that makes for good TV. We filmed a show with the help of a few friends and neighbors and it was like a big block of tofu dropped on the head of society. The world hasn’t been the same since! Well, the vegan world anyway. Everything else is pretty much the same.


These days, The Post Punk Kitchen is really about the community. Will anyone ever make figure out how to do a home-baked vegan meringue? If it’s going to happen, we’re pretty sure it’s going to happen at the PPK. I try to parlay my love for the kitchen into my love for social justice whenever possible. I’m a strong believer in baketivism. Bake sales, benefit dinners, or outreach via cupcakes, I believe that tastebuds are the perfect vehicle for change.

My friends and I also formed a kitchen posse. We cooked for any old reason: birthdays, holidays, road trips, touring bands. We’d stay up all night making an elaborate seitan roast, wake up in the afternoon and make pancakes, go to an anti-fur demonstration then start all over again!”


Reblogged from Post Punk Kitchen website

No comments:

Post a Comment